Friday, May 6, 2011

Forêt de Fontainebleau

Last week I had the good fortune to spend a day on a long walk in and around the forest of Fontainebleau.  This is one of the things I love about Paris (and also about my good friend who organizes all these great outings so all I have to do is show up and follow her.)  You get on the train at Gare de Lyon and 30 minutes later you are at the Fontainebleau/Avon station.  You walk through town for a couple of blocks, enter the park, and that's when the magic begins. 

You stroll down a shady lane.  If you want to take a picture and you're not at the head of the line, it's good form to snap the photo in the opposite direction.  Your friends don't appreciate your publishing pictures of their back sides.


You come out of the alley, cross the road, and walk up a little rise.........


And this magnificence is staring you in the face.


There's no time today for a visit inside.  But that's okay because you've been there before, actually twice.


You take a stroll around the little lake.

When you've walked past the military school and crossed a busy highway, the forest is waiting for you.  Maybe there will be a few rock climbers, but probably not since it's the middle of the week.


The ferns are amazingly tall.


And the trail markers couldn't be more apt.



6 comments:

Paulita said...

So many great things to explore. Love the balance of the wilderness with the carefully constructed palace.

Susan said...

Looks beautiful! I'll add it to my (long) list of places to go. I'll have to see if I can take my dog there. He would love it!

Starman said...

I've never been to Fontainebleau. I rarely leave the city when I'm there, except to go to another city. Can you tell I'm not a country boy?

Amy said...

It's gorgeous! The chateau looks like it's rising from the mists over the water - magical. I'm reading a biography of Catherine d'Medici right now and Fontainebleu is mentioned often. Now I have an unforgettable visual to go along with those parts of the story.

Anne said...

Susan: I know for a fact that dogs are not allowed on the chateau's property. But you can definitely take them for a romp in the forest.

Unknown said...

Love it. My husband just left 2 minutes ago for is weekly trip to Fontainelbeau to boulder. If the weather stays this nice, I'll be headed there myself next weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails