Monday, August 30, 2010

Bis


The simple definition of the word "bis" is "again" or maybe "encore." It's one more, an extra. When it comes to street addresses, "bis" can be a bit confusing. In the case above, there is a number 15 and then right next door 15bis. The explanations are not completely satisfactory. Perhaps there was once one building where there are now two (or at least where there are now two separate entrances). Or the numbering got ahead of the actual building. In any case, "bis" will always be next to and on the same side of the street as the number without the "bis." Got that?

5 comments:

Starman said...

It took me awhile to figure out 'bis'.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Yes, and I think that there is a Métro line called 7bis which serves the Parc des Buttes Chaumont. It started as a branch of line 7 and in the 60s became 7bis. There is talk of merging the old line 3bis and 7bis. (TMI, too much info, I am sure -- hah)

I do love this little doorbell! Art Deco and beautifully done.

Paris Hotel Bastille said...

Good useful info..thanks.

Ron @ DubaiFunholidays said...

great information and interesting blog, i could not understand at first what was all this about - your explanation helped,

Paris Paul said...

I agree with Genie, Art Deco rocks.

And even more confusing: my office address is 28 *ter*. I was so late the day I went there for my interview because I hadn't even totally figured out "bis" at that point!

Related Posts with Thumbnails