Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bearing Fruit

I have seen many interesting things in the Bois de Boulogne: peacocks, demonic cyclists, rowboats, campers, skateboarders, horseback riders, picnickers, and naturally, more than a few prostitutes. But yesterday, I found something completely unexpected: a persimmon tree. With no foliage to speak of, it was a bit of an odd sight, almost as if the bare branches had been strung with hundreds of tiny paper lanterns. The groundskeepers who were raking nearby told us that these persimmons would not be ready to eat until after a hard frost.

5 comments:

Farrah said...

Lovely!

Starman said...

I know nothing about persimmons other than I like them. How interesting.

Louis said...

There's another persimmon tree in the Parc des Buttes Chaumonts. Now we know not to eat any until later in the winter!

Shelli said...

My neighbors back in California have a persimmon tree with virtually no leaves at all and the fruits hanging on the bare branches make it look more like an art piece than a real fruiting tree.

If you'd tell me exactly where that tree is, I might sneak out after the first frost and pick me a few!

I just paid E6.50 a kilo for some today.

Anne said...

I think we were on the back side of Le Pre Catalan although I wouldn't swear to it. The Bois de Boulogne can be a disorienting and someone else was leading the way; I wasn't really paying that much attention to the turns. To fully explore, I suggest taking a bike. It's a BIG place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails