Monday, May 4, 2009

Thanks but No Thanks


There's been a lot of buzz lately in the press and the blogosphere about Merci, a new boutique in the 3rd arrondissement that is the brainchild of Marie-France Cohen, founder of Bonpoint, that temple to gorgeous children's clothing and dare I say it, complete excess. Housed in a rehabbed factory, Merci is serving up clothes, perfume and home furnishings donated by known designers with all profits going to charity. Frankly, the whole thing left me cold except for this adorable car poised in the front courtyard. Are there really people who will spend 40 euros on a candle that smells like tomato leaves or dish out 100 for a metal and wood school chair suitable for a four year old? Cohen may know her clientele but personally, I'd say that if you want to spend money and still feel good about yourself, write a few more checks to charity and be done with it.

3 comments:

Starman said...

I think that is a great idea, although I probably wouldn't find anything I would want to buy. Well, maybe a gift. And don't forget, if ALL profits go to charity, that means she is paying the overhead (rent, taxes, et al) from her pocket. Not many would do that.

Anne said...

Profits generally means after expenses and that includes overhead, not just the merchandise. But to be honest, I have no idea how Merci calcuates its post profits contributions.

Cécile Qd9 said...

I totaly agree with you on everything and especially on the adorble red car

Related Posts with Thumbnails